Wednesday night I posted on twitter and in the comments to the previous post that I had just received some devastating personal news.
The drug & alcohol recovery program I work for is closing… In two weeks I’m losing my job. You may say “that’s not as bad as I thought.”
Lists of reasons why this is so devastating that I made an ominous tweet:
- Since my wife and I have an 8 month old baby, I have been the sole income earner for our family.
- We just bought a house last month. We haven’t even made our first payment.
- The job market in our town is really bad. It’s bad everywhere, but it’s really bad here. We have the worst job market in our state, and Oregon has one of the worst job markets in the country.
- Due to working part time elsewhere, I will get significantly less unemployment benefits, if any.
- I truly loved my job. I planned on working in the program for 10 years, so it’s not just a loss of money, but also great personal satisfaction.
- I think this is the beginning of the end of my career in the helping profession. So in addition to losing my job I’m also losing my sense of direction.
I hope no one worried there was any medical tragedy occurring, I apologize if that was insinuated. I must say after hearing all those stories of people losing their jobs in this economy I never realized just how mortifying it is. I am now painfully aware. I cried yesterday – HARD. Generally I’m a very rational and calm person – but I am AFRAID.
Though I am VERY preoccupied with trying to find a new job somehow, I will try to continue to post on here. I make no promises on quantity, but I will try. I’ve been working hard on trying to build this blog and write good material, and so I don’t want to lose that. At the same time I have a very urgent priority that will be all consuming.
The ultimate irony is that Wednesday’s post was a bold one for me, and I feverishly looked forward to hearing from you all. Truly. Right after posting it I found out the news, so I haven’t had a chance to read any of the comments. Thanks for giving me grace there, I will reply soon.